Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How to Make a Barbie Chair, Sofa, and Coffee Table


This tutorial is from the DIY Three Ring Binder Barbie Dollhouse post. Enjoy!

You will need:
Styrofoam (or other trash that can be folded/cut/torn into the shape of furniture)
Fabric
Hot Glue Gun
Pillow Stuffing
Round, flat discarded item (I used the top of a tin)
Cylindrical discarded item (I used the base of a glade scented oil candle)

Sofa and Chair
Step 1: Cut/fold your discarded styrofoam (or other trash) into the desired shape

Step 2: Cut your fabric out in a shape that will fit around your furniture. I'm no upholsterer and somehow I managed to not screw this up....I didn't measure ANYTHING. I can't tell you the last time I pulled out measuring tape. For reals.

Step 4: Hot glue the fabric around your furniture. Or as Eric said to me (after I found some bare spots): "Just keep throwing fabric at it, honey...it'll be fine."

Step 5: Make pillows! Use a coordinating fabric to make little pockets
Stuff them with pillow stuffing, sew them shut (who cares about invisible seams? Not me.), and call it a day!
I ended up using some little gold beads to make bun feet...just for fun.

Coffee Table:
Glue your round object to your cylindrical object. Of course, you'll want to make sure they are sized appropriately. Dig through the trash for a couple of weeks...you'll find something.

Once finished, your furniture should look like some version of this:

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. @BrownEyeChick - I found all of the images online - most of them were things at stores that I just printed out, cut, and pasted to the "walls" of the dollhouse - is that what you're asking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so awesome!!! thank you so much for sharing!!! I have a barbie doll cabin from my child hood that's not too big, but have put off getting the furniture because it's so expensive,and quite frankly, ugly in my opinion! lol I can't wait to make this for my daughter!!!thanks again:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I stumbled onto your blog and love the ideas! I'm going to make the sofa!! =~D I don't know if there's a Garden Ridge store near you but, you can get 2-3 yards of high end fabric / upholstery fabric for $6. All different types, even pleather & leather. http://gardenridge.com/locations_new.aspx Oh, if you're ever on YouTube there is a lady by the name, MyFroggyStuff who is a whiz at Barbie crafts.

    Thanks again, Ane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I've strumbled here following MyFroggyStuff !!! It's amazing what that woman do!! I'm remaking the Barbie house into a Monster High house and started to make everything in wood, but right now ... after myfroggystuff... it's recycling time!!!! I don't know if it's just my imagination, but Monster High dolls are like cats...once you look around there are more and more.... :)

      Delete
  4. You are so clever. Your instructions are loose i.e. "some round trash" and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing your brainstorm. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your creativity. Wow. Thanks for sharing the how-to's. Where there is a will there is a way and you found it by thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your site via someone's Pinterest pin. This whole binder dollhouse idea is wonderful! We don't have kids, but I can see making some of these for some of the special little girls in my life. Sidenote: I wish I could shrink myself to Barbie size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great tutorial, and if you have the time, myfroggystuff on youtube has a ton of cheap and(mostly) super easy dollhouse ideas like furniture, clothing, and accesories.(did i spell that right?) anyways, thats where i always go to make myself doll stuff. its a great place to check out crafts that look store bought made out of junk from around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made the kitchen for my niece she's been asking for one for a while. Great tutorial but what can you use instead of Styrofoam?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you make the dining room chairs? I love them.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...