Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How to Make a Barbie Kitchen Table and Chairs



This is a tutorial from the DIY Three Ring Binder Barbie Dollhouse post. Enjoy!

You will need:
Two wire hangers (like you get from the dry cleaners)
Fabric
Batting
Cardboard
Hot glue
Discarded round flat thing (I actually bought a $2 plant coaster from the Home Depot for this)
Candle Holder ($1.50 - Target)
Wire cutters/pliers
Fabri-tac (fabric glue)

Chairs
Step 1: Cut the wire hangers per the picture below (only the "hanger" portion should be left over in this project, and you could even use that as a seat support if you were feeling ambitious)

Step 2: Bend the wire (using wire cutters/pliers) until it is in the vague shape of a chair
You'll have to manipulate the wire a little bit until the chairs are sturdy. Just keep bending and placing on a flat surface alternately to test...it'll happen.

Step 3: Cut pieces of cardboard to the size of the seats and back (you'll need 12 pieces for 4 chairs - 3 pieces per chair).

Step 4: Cut batting to just over twice the length of the cardboard pieces - the width should be exactly equal to the cardboard. You'll need 8 pieces (two per chair)

Step 5: Wrap the batting around the cardboard and hot glue in place

Step 6: Wrap the fabric around the cardboard (per the photos) and hot glue in place. I stitched up the ends of my fabric that I knew would show. It's possible to do this without that step.
This will be the "seat" of your chair.

Step 7: Fabri-tac the seat to the wire frame (hot glue won't hold. Guess who learned this the hard way...four times?)

Step 8: Hot glue TWO cardboard pieces (one on each side of the wire frame) at the top for the "seat back." The pieces should be glued together with a little portion of the wire glued between them.

Step 9: Wrap the seat back in batting - hot glue in place

Step 10: Wrap the seat back in fabric - hot glue in place

Repeat until all the chairs are finished!

Once you're done, you should have some version of this:

Table:
Glue the round discarded item to the candle holder. I painted my "table top" so that it would go with the rest of the kitchen.

Once you're done with your kitchen set, your finished product should look like some version of this:


Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Omigoodness! Your table and chairs are brilliant! My daughter has been wanting a dollhouse and I have been resisting. She is 6 and I am not ready to plop down the amount of money it takes given she might not play with it too long.
    I LOVE your binder doll house but was sure that the table and chairs were purchased. You fooled me good!! I will keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the greatest and cutest tutorial I've ever seen!! I can't wait to have a little girl, hopefully, and make this for her!! My uncle built me a Barbie house and I only want to do the same!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable! You are very creative!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I want to make a binder dollhouse so my little girl can take it to our familycamp, cheap and portable! I thought at first the furniture was purchased! So clever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 52 years old and my most memorable Christmas ever was when my mom made a Barbie house from a cardboard box for me - wallpapered walls, just-right size 'paintings' hung on the walls, doors that opened and shut, curtains on the windows, handmade rag rug, bed from paneling and foam made a removable mattress and pillow with sheets and pillowcases and a bedspread, club style chairs from oatmeal boxes covered in contact paper with upholstered cushions, lamps from different perfume bottles and much more, plus several new handmade outfits for my favorite doll! There were a few purchased items in my dollhouse, but the handmade ones were sooo much better! I love your compact version and I know that your daughter will remember this forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I may have to make this even though I don't have a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your ingenuity. When my boys were little I was always making something for them. You'll miss that when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing this. I am so going to do this for my grandgirls... They will love it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so creative and just adorable. Your daughter will always remember all the thought that went into creating her gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could kiss you!! I have been looking to buy a kitchen set, couldn't find one, & yours is TONS cuter!! Bless your heart for sharing my daughter will be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What creative and awesome idea! This is going to be SO fun doing with my granddaughter! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is sooo cute! I am going to make this for my daughter! Really like your site!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing! I would have loved this as a child, I remember making Barbie furniture out off toilet roll tubes and empty matchboxes. I have so got to make these for my granddaughters when they're older. Thank you so much :) Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello ..I found your site when I was looking for tutos to make Barbie furniture ...Of all the things I ' ve seen , your creations are the cutest !! Thank you so much to take time to share so many brilliant ideas ...I start with the dining room and I will send you a photo of the result ...I am french , a happy mother of three children and grand mother of two boys and two girls ..What else ?!!! Brigitte Le Pottier Saint Malo France

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute,, can"t wait to try all your ideas.....you're an awsome mom and I am sure your daughter will remember this as one of the best gifts she ever got!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your idea it's also portable and easy to share ") ill be making and collecting for my daughters 3bday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, so cute. Im in my 60's and have collected Barbie dolls and furniture for years. Second hand and sale items. I am makeing the perfume bottles at the moment but will do your little chars. Alas we only have boys in our family. Dont know where the girls are.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...